JOEL L. TAN-TORRES
Partner, Tax Consulting Services
Reyes, Tacandong & Co.
Joel is a former partner of the Tax Consulting Group at SGV. Joel was Commissioner of Internal Revenue from 2009 to 2010. He was with the BIR from 1980 to 1996 where he served as Assistant Commissioner for…
Maliit ang mga kaibiganin.
1. Backpack without plans–all you need is a flight there and a flight back with a few months in between. One day you’ll be too old or surly or rich or fussy to sleep in dorms of 24 people, or on a roof in Greece, or a street in Paris. Do it in your 20s so you can remember it as the most romantic thing that ever happened to you.
2. Love as recklessly as you can. Let yourself have that relationship that suffocates you with emotion every day, where the highs are inexplicably stratospheric and the lows are explosions and screams and hot tears. Go there with someone, be your best, most joyful and your worst, most vindictive self with them–love wildly, because one day you’ll be too weary or too rational for that.
3. Give your credit card a workout because you don’t have kids or a mortgage. Eat cans of beans for dinner but do it in the gorgeous dress you bought and your best high heels because you’ll never be this young or this stupid again, so you might as well have the decadent things that make you happy, guilt free.
4. Go a week without showering–whether you’re on deadline or studying for finals, just be a gross filth pot when you don’t have to go out into the world. You will get to know yourself in ways you never imagined. Find comfort in knowing that without showers, everyone is the same.
5. Be as glamorous as possible. Put aside your insecurities because whatever you think about yourself is objectively wrong. You are young and hot and full of energy so doll yourself up like you’re about to walk the red carpet and indulge in compliments.
6. Have at least one night where you cry ridiculously and listen to Adele while drinking wine and chain smoking. Once you have a family or a career or a spouse you will not have the time or the space to be this disgustingly self indulgent.
7. Get all your friends together in a group and go somewhere. Take a flight to Mexico or a drive upstate. Soon you’ll all be so busy you’ll be lucky if two of you can even be in the same place at the same time. Enjoy this time when your lives are defined by freedom and time.
8. Write about your feelings, which right now, are big and important. In 10, 15, 20 years, you’ll be able to go back and chuckle over your confessions, the same way you do now over your high school journal. Indulge yourself in your moment, without shame or fear.
9. Stay up until 10am on a rooftop with some friends and watch the sun come up over Manhattan, or wherever it is you live. Up that high, as the world comes awake, you will see how infinite the world is, and how detached from it you can be. As you get older, the more reluctant you’ll be to stay up past midnight, so sleep when you’re old.
10. Do some drugs. Nothing hard like heroin or ice, but do some mushrooms or take some ecstasy in a room full of people you love. Hold hands and stroke each others hair, and tell one another how wonderful you are. Drugs are pretty stupid, so try them out while they still have some mystique.